When working with water and nutrient solutions it is helpful to have a way to monitor the level of the liquid in its container. Additionally, it is useful to attach a flow-rate sensor to your water pump which can be used to identify issues such as a clog in the line or a disconnected water line that is pumping out liquid onto the floor.
Connecting these sensors to your hydroMazing Smart Garden System is made easy by the use of good old-fashioned coiled telephone wires
Water-Level ( Float ) Sensors
Water level sensors come in a variety of types but the most common is the low-cost float switch. The float switch combines a flotation material such as Styrofoam with a magnet that when aligned with the body of the switch activates a reed switch completing the circuit.
A flow-rate sensor connected to your water pump will provide a measurement of the rate at which the liquid is flowing through the sensor.
More About hydroMazing:
- Managing Nutrient Solution Systems
- Setup hydroMazing Smart Garden System
- Using Arduino to Wirelessly Control Appliances
More About Indoor Gardening:
- What is a “Smart” Garden?
- Starting a Smart Indoor Garden
- Digging Deeper into Indoor Gardening
- Indoor Gardening: What can go wrong?